Saturday, August 14, 2010

Viva la vida!

I grew up as an only child. As a result, I have pretty much always wanted at least two kids... maybe even three... or four! Many people say that they wish they were an only. But do they really wish for that? Perhaps, nobody to fight with or share anything wish sounds quite attractive. Or how about the Mt. Everest of presents under the tree on Christmas?

Yes, I lived all of these little "perks." Once school was out, I got to come home to peace and quiet (with the exception of my mom nagging me on my homework :p). No siblings punching or picking at me. No siblings invading *my* space. I had *my* own Mt. Toyverest under the tree. All of which were the direct opposite of what I would have had if I had siblings.

That's not to say that if I had had siblings I would have had other kids picking on/at me at home. I would have had to share some space, and definitely no Mt. Toyverest under the tree. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not some materialistic freak or anything, I mean, hey- what kid isn't thrilled at a Mt. Toyverest under the tree? Perhaps I would have learned to fight back against bullies/lowlifes a little better. Perhaps people wouldn't think they see a "NAIVE AND STUPID" stamp on my forehead. Sometimes, I can't help but to have peoples' ignorance under my skin, but that's a whole other soapbox. There's practically a laundry list of stereotypes about only children.

Back to the bright side of things. I had more one-on-one time with my mom, along with my grandparents (even though they have, like, elevendy-billion grandkids) than alot of other kids in the area. I developed an awesome relationship with my grandparents. More on that later.

Now that I'm older, though, there *is* a new set of considerations for me. When the time comes, the responsibility will be all mine to handle my mom's affairs. (my 'rents divorced when I was very young- more on that later, too.) Also, growing up, I had an awesome extended family. Lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. However, Jessy (and any other kiddos we might have) will only have her three cousins (who live in CA), three uncles and an aunt. Not the same privilege of a huge extended family at all. I have fewer godparent choices for our children.

While growing up, recess time often (but not always) found me playing by myself: I couldn't relate to my classmates. "Experts" say that only children tend to be more mature than their counterparts who have siblings. This was painfully true for me. Through the years, however, the effects of being around mostly adults became less profound as I grew up. The older people are, the less age matters- both physically and mentally. How often do you see, say a five-year-old getting along well with a 10-year old? Probably not very often- they're as different as night and day! However- a 30-year-old and a 35-year-old? Not too bad there. Mental age has the same effects.

Thankfully, though, I have the important stuff: a loving, devoted mom, a doting husband and sweet daughter, who all love me as I am, quirks and all.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ss_blog_claim=7bdcf7d9922247ff48543614eed23e54